According to the New York Times pets in general but cats, in particular, can benefit from pet drinking fountains. According to the times, while there is no indication that drinking fountains induce dogs to drink more (your Leave it to Beaver father was right, just give your dog a bowl of water and be done with it, that doesn't apply to cats.
Quoting veterinarian Dr. Michael Lund of the ASPCA, cats tend to keep themselves in a dehydrated state, a state that is not good for their kidneys. Dr. Lund says that ideally, every cat should drink 1 to 1.5 cups of water for every pound of body weight your cat weighs. And drinking fountains may entice your cats to drink more. In addition, cats prefer the taste of drinking water from a fountain, which is why most cat owners prefer a recirculating fountain.
As for material, just be sure your fountain is pet safe. Most cat owners prefer either a stainless steel or a ceramic fountain. Both will work and are generally petsafe, but of the two, stainless steel is usually the better choice because stainless steel easy to clean.
How much does a typical cat fountain cost?
Generally, the average stainless steel water fountain will run around $50 or so. There are cheaper ones coming in at around $25, but you tend to miss some of the better features if you go too cheaply.
Top Rated Cat Water Fountains In 2022
Rating is 5 out of 5
Veken Pet Fountain, 84oz/2.5L Automatic Cat Water Fountain Dog Water Dispenser with 3 Replacement Filters & 1 Silicone Mat for Cats, Dogs, Multiple Pets, Blue
- Ultra-quiet & low consumption pump – The Veken pump is ultra-quiet (measured below 40dB) and low consumption which means that it normally lasts between 2.5 - 4 years!
- 2.5L large capacity – It has a water capacity of 2.5 liters (84 ounces), which means that it is great for small to medium sized pets. The circulation system helps provide healthy and hygienic water for beloved pets all day.
- BPA free & quality material – Made of quality PP resin, this automatic water bowl is BPA free, durable, and it’s easy to operate and clean. Furthermore, each fountain comes with 1 silicone pad to catch splashing water from spills.
- 3 different flow designs – Veken Pet Fountain has 3 modes: flower waterfall, flower bubble, and gentle fountain. Each mode is specifically designed to meet the needs of various pets. The free-falling stream and bright color will attract curious pets to check it out.
- Triple filtration system – The pet water fountain is equipped with 3 replacement filters, each composed of a cotton layer, activated carbon, and an ion exchange resin, forming a triple filtration system to help keep your pets healthy and hydrated.
Rating is 4.9 out of 5
Cat Water Fountain Stainless Steel, 81oz/2.4L, Intelligent Pump with LED Indicator for Water Shortage Alert, Water Level Window
- 3 filters, 2 brushes, 1 mat and stainless steel top: High grade stainless steel top is unbreakable, durable and easy to clean. Stainless steel top is hygienic and dishwasher-safe. Pet fountain includes stainless steel top, 3 carbon filters, 2 cleaning brushes for the intake tube and the motor cavity and 1 mat. It’s made of food grade materials. BPA free cat fountain is safe for your pets.
- Extremely quiet & intelligent pump with indicator light: The pump is whisper-quiet and stays below 40 decibels. Low-voltage pump is reliable and usually lasts 2.5-4 years. Water level window with LED Light reminds you adding water in time during the day or at night. When the water level is low, the light turns red and the pump shuts off automatically. It prevents the pump from running dry. Stainless steel top pet fountain features LED light that will decorate your room in the evening.
- Circulating filtration system: The circulating filtration system uses a replaceable round filter to purify the water, remove hair, dirt and food particles. The round filter is composed of cotton layers, coconut shell activated carbons and ion-exchange resins. It provides fresh clean water to your lovely pets.
Rating is 4.8 out of 5
PetSafe Drinkwell Mini Pet Fountain for Cats and Small Dogs, 40 oz Capacity Water Dispenser with Filter Included, PWW00-14402
- Keep your pet hydrated: The free-falling stream of fresh, filtered water entices pets to drink more water
- Keep your pet healthy: Keeping cats and dogs hydrated helps prevent urinary tract infections and kidney disease
- Filtered water: Includes a replaceable carbon filter that removes bad tastes and odors; 1 month filter supply included
- Perfect size for cats and small dogs: Automatic water fountain holds 40 ounces of water and is the ideal size for your cat or small dog
- Customize water flow: The pump is adjustable so you can change the water flow; circulation prevents bacteria growth
- Easy to clean: Fountain is BPA-free and all parts except pump are top-shelf dishwasher safe; completely disassembles for easy cleaning
Rating is 4.7 out of 5
ORSDA Cat Water Fountain Stainless Steel, Pet Fountain Dog Water Dispenser, 67oz / 2L Ultra-Quiet Automatic Cat Drinking Fountains with 6 Replacement Filters & 1 Silicone Mat for Cats, Small Dogs
- 😽Ideal For Multi-Pet Family - ORSDA cat water fountains holds 67oz/2L large water tank that provide your cats and/or dogs with a constant supply of clean, filtered water. Ideal for all sorts of small pets when their owner is on a small trip.
- 😽High-Grade and Durable Stainless Material - Compared to plastic pet drinking fountains, our pet fountain is made of imported total 304 stainless materials that are easier to maintain scratch-resistant. The locking lid design avoids tipping over and isolates messes for a hygienic drinking.
- 😽Ease of Use and Clean - BPA-free and dishwasher safe. The automatic dog water fountain allows you to take the water pump and other pieces apart for more thorough cleaning. Bonus: Bundled with 3pcs cleaning brushes without additional cost!
- 😽Quiet Operation - The water softly bubbles over the tower of the stainless steel cat fountain allowing timid or shy cats to comfortably drink from the pet water dispenser.
- 😽Cleaning Kits & Feeding Mat - To thanks for all customers, our pet water fountain comes with 6pcs replacement filters, 1pc non-slip silicone mat, and 3pcs cleaning brushes. Best bang for your buck!!!
Rating is 4.6 out of 5
Pioneer Pet Swan Pet Drinking Fountain: 80oz Water Capacity (White Plastic)
- Circulating drinking water is naturally appealing to pets - 80 ounce capacity is great for a single pet household or a multipet household
- Replaceable charcoal filter (#3091) for clean and pure, healthy water
- New improved USB connection pump provides an ultra quiet design
- Easy Clean design that is dishwasher safe and comes with a replaceable charcoal filter that provides clean and fresh water for your pet
Rating is 4.5 out of 5
Comsmart Cat Water Fountain, 81 Ounce/2.4 Liters LED Pet Fountain Stainless Steel Automatic Drinking Water Dispenser for Cats, Dogs, Other Pets
- 【Water Level Window with Blue Light】: Our upgrade cat fountain with LED light can clearly monitor water level at a glance. When it's time to refill water, makes it easy for pets to drink water in the dark. And blue led light adds a lovely glow in your home.
- 【The Upgraded Pump】: This latest generation pump is designed with unique motor technology, Ultra Quiet ( below 40dB ), 1.5 W low power consumption, normally lasting between 2.5 - 4 years, which is much more stress-free and durable than others.
- 【Food-grade Material & Triple Filtration System】: The pet fountain is made of food-grade material, BPA free PP resin, 304 stainless steel modern tray is safer than plastic cat fountain,and easier to clean. Equipped with 3 extra replacement filters to keep the water fresh , meets human health standards.
- 【3 Different Flow Designs】 : You can turn the flower cover or petals to achieve 3 different flow modes: flower waterfall, flower bubble, and gentle fountain. The free-falling stream than still water in regular water bowl is more attractive to your pets. There are always water flow options designed especially for your pets.
- 【Capacity】: 2.4 Liters large capacity but compact fountain body, which means our it takes up less space but can holds more water.
Rating is 4.4 out of 5
NPET Cat Water Fountain WF050TP 1.5L Automatic Pet Drinking Fountain with Replacement Faucet Kit
- 【Encourage Drinking 】This cat water fountain is equipped with faucet and the spring surge modes which are a match with the drinking habits of cats, dogs, and other pets. Faucet model: attract your pets to drink more water. There are three parts to the faucet. You could adjust the faucet height by taking out or set up the middle part.(An Adapter Not Included). Please don't take off the silicone hose attached to the pump when you install the fountain.
- 【Design Concept】Round shape design, which your cats will not be hurt. Visible fully transparency water tank, it is easy to know when to clean and change water. So that your pet can always drink clean and healthy water. Component structure ,easy to install, easy to clean.
- 【Large Capacity】1.5 L water capacity is suitable for different age of cats, dogs and multiple pet households. No need to replenish water frequently, the storing water can last one week. Therefore you could go out for few days without worrying your lovely pets.
- 【Filtered Water】3 layers filter: Sponge could catch cats hair and debris, the ion exchange resin layer could soften the tap water, the third activated carbon layer could remove bad taste and odor that provides fresh and clean water to pets.
- 【Environment Material】This fountain model WF050-01 is not coming with an adapter. The pet fountain that is made of high quality non-toxic and odorless plastic material. A simple quick-release structure is designed for easy removal and cleaning.
Rating is 4.3 out of 5
PetSafe Drinkwell Multi-Tier Cat and Dog Drinking Fountain, 100 Oz Capacity Automatic Water Dispenser for Pets, Fresh Free-Flowing Stream, Easy to Clean Hygienic Durable Material, Filters Included
- 100-ounce water capacity: Perfect size for cats and dogs of all sizes
- Encourages pets to drink: A free-falling stream of water entices pets to drink more and helps prevent urinary and kidney diseases through increased hydration
- 2-tier design: The versatility of this fountain allows your pet to drink from either the upper or lower bowl; The tiered design is great for senior pets or arthritic pets
- Clean and hygienic: The constant water circulation inhibits bacteria growth, and the carbon filter removes bad tastes and odors from the water; Place this BPA-free fountain in the top rack of the dishwasher and hand wash the pump separately
- No thirsty pets: This fountain incorporates an open bowl design, so if your home loses power, your cat or dog will still have access to water from any side
- Compatible filters and pump: Fountain is compatible with PetSafe Drinkwell Carbon Filter No.1 (PAC00-13067) and Drinkwell Replacement Pump (PAC00-13206)
Rating is 4.2 out of 5
Aerb Cat Water Fountain, Pet Water Fountain: Cat Fountain Ultra-Quiet Pump with Night Light and 3 Carbon Filters, 81oz/2.4L
- 🐾[LARGER CAPACITY & HEALTHIER PETS] The capacity of 2.4L is enough to supply two pets. The water tray is made of stainless steel which can provide better water for pets and protect their health together with you
- 😻[LED NIGHT LIGHT & MIN WATER LEVEL MARK] LED lights that you can find the cat fountain even if you turn off the lights at night to prevent tripping. Visualized water level reminds you to add drinking water to pets in time
- 😺[WITH 3 CARBON FILTER] The high-quality filter adopts triple filtration and activated carbon and high-density PP cotton clean tap water to completely remove hair, sediment, and dirt and remove the peculiar smell. The seller service recommends replacing the filter every 1-2 weeks
- 😸[LET PETS DRINK MORE WATER] 3 kinds of water flow to interest, which are laminated patterns, bubbles of flowers, and soft fountains, arouses pet's curiosity Improved integrated water collecting tank and water circulation system to increase the contact area between water and air and add more oxygen to water
What do you want to look for?
One of the first things you want to look for is the ease of cleaning and as well as ease of disassembly and reassembly. Each time you want to clean your cat fountain, that means disassembling the fountain, several times a week. Most cat owners prefer to take their fountain apart and put it in the dishwasher. The good thing is that cats are generally less messy than dogs who tend to slobber all over their water. The bad news is that some fountains are more difficult to clean than others. You'll also want to look at the water filtering function. The plain fact is, that some fountains cost a pretty penny to replace the filters.
In addition, you will want to look at the capacity. This is rarely a problem with cats, as they are smaller animals. However, if you have multiple cats, be sure your fountain holds enough water. You'll also want to be cognizant of how low the water can go till you need to refill it. Noise is a critical factor. Some cats will not drink from a water fountain unless it's whisper quiet. At the same time, some cats will drink from the kitchen or bathroom faucet when it's going full blast. Go figure.
Perhaps it's because, with the bathroom faucet, the cat is reassured that you are near. We don't really know, but we've noticed that some cats are just downright skittish if their drinking fountain makes too much noise. As to materials, both ceramic and steel are okay. But plastic will soon break. Personally, we prefer stainless steel. Longevity is another factor to keep in mind. Not always, but generally, the more you pay for the fountain, the longer you pay for a fountain, the longer it will last.
Finally, there is aesthetics. This is of course a personal choice but some fountains just look cuter and sweeter than others.
How often should I change my cat's water
Since it's such an easy job, we see no reason why you shouldn't change your cat's water every single day. If you don't, your can may go on a hydration strike.
How to get your cat to drink from a fountain?
We have found that if the fountain is quiet enough, most cats adapt quickly to a water fountain. However, if your cat is skittish, one way to make him or her drink is to take their traditional water bowl and move it near the fountain.
When the water bowl is empty then stop refilling it.
Next, run the fountain continuously so that your can gets used to the noise. Most often, you can will soon forget about his old water bowl.